Can I get a shell roof?

« Back To AskARoofer
Author

laurenwhite

Deneen, a homeowner in Connecticut, asked:

The shell roof you posted is amazing, is that something that can actually be done? I live in Connecticut near the beach, not sure if that is a good environment? Won't the shells disintegrate? Would love my roof to be made of shells. Who would I even get to do that?

December 27, 2022 at 5:27 p.m.

laurenwhite
Below is what our roofing expert John Stout from Go Roof Tune Up had to say in response to your question:

Thank you so much for your interesting question. Are you sure you are not an insider just making sure
the AskARoofer staff is staying awake?

It would be interesting to know about this job and what inspired it. Could it be that a roofer followed
Bing Crosby around and gathered up the shells after his famous clam bakes? Must be a story here
somewhere. Clam shells laid shingle fashion with proper exposure and side lap could shed water
properly. However, it would be a decorative item that would require regular maintenance. And that
would cost a lot of CLAMS.

We agree with you that it would be an outstanding touch to a beach house. Wood shingles are available
in round cut butt ends that make a, “fish scale” appearance. Asphalt shingle manufacturers also have
shingles that give the, “fish scale” appearance. However, we could not find a, “clam shell” appearance.
As for your question of, “Who would I get to do it?” If you are serious about it, you could have a line
form out in front of your house with roofers willing to do it. For how many clams? I don’t know.
Roofers are noted for being innovative and very competitive. Let us know what you do. Thank you again for your question.

Your friends at AskARoofer

« Back To AskARoofer
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

AAR - MRA - Banner Ad - Buyer

Social Feed

Follow Us
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
WTI - Sidebar Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024
Westlake ad corrected size
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)
AAR - MRA - Sidebar Ad - Buyer