What Does Slate Roofing Cost?

« Back To AskARoofer
Author

laurenwhite

Q: My house construction was going on in Toronto. It was a two-story house. When the structure of the ground floor and top floor got over, it was time to start with the roof work. Since my wife and I had an idea to give the roof a modern outlook, we began searching for companies that sell slate colored shingles. We also had a look at our neighboring houses. We found that the roof of one of the houses was in a modern way. Finally, we decided to approach them. When we enquired about this, they told us that their work just got over recently. They also said to us that a nearby company providing slate-colored shingles did this for them. We took the details from them and approached the company. They were very accommodating in showing us the patterns of different slate-colored shingles. We chose one among them, and they delivered the product. We appreciated them as our roof was looking so elegant when the entire work got over. For two years we have been living in this house, and we have not faced any damage to the roof. Can anyone please tell me how much does this type of work usually cost? 

A: While a slate roof is the best option for the property, it is more expensive to install than other shelters. The house’s square footage is usually equivalent to the roof’s square footage. So, one hard or soft slate for each square foot of your house times $1,500 will be the total cost of a new slate roof. Asphalt shingles have a total value of around $200 per square. 

Alternative slate-colored roofing shingle 

The costs of slate roofs have inspired the manufacturing of high-quality products that look like slate. These products are cheaper than the original slate and lighter and can be used in the house whose structure could not support the slate weight. A square cost $450, including installation and $235 without installation costs. 

High-quality synthetic slate is another product that looks like a slate without slate’s negative effect. The price per square is between $285 and $360. The installation process is easy and pocket- friendly. Colored shingle is a slate alternative made from galvanized steel shingles. It ranges from $350 to $600 per square, including installation. It comes with a lifetime warranty and a wide range of colors. 

-Jason White, RCS forum user

« Back To AskARoofer
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

DaVinci - Banner Ad - DaVinci Checks All The Boxes

Social Feed

Follow Us
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
WTI - Sidebar Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)
AAR - MRA - Sidebar Ad - Buyer
Westlake ad corrected size