Using 1/2 Inch Nails on Sauna

« Back To AskARoofer
Author

laurenwhite

Peter from Ontario asked:

I am roofing a barrel sauna which only has 1/2 inch roof. How can I attach the shingles without my nails coming through? Are there 1/2 inch roofing nails and will they work? Can I use an adhesive and if so what kind? Thanks!

April 26, 2023 at 10:42 a.m.

laurenwhite
Below is what our roofing expert John Kenney from Cotney Consulting Group had to say:

There is no specific adhesive to install asphalt shingles since they were designed to be mechanically fastened in place. I understand your issues about not wanting them to penetrate the inside of your sauna. Proper roofing practice would require nails. So, your options would be penetrating nails or installing another layer of ½ decking to give you a full 1" to avoid nail penetration. This is my professional recommendation.

Suppose you don't want to do it that way, and the shingles are just for looks. In that case, you can reach out to a company like Henry, who makes adhesives, and see if their 900 construction adhesive is used in roofing may work. I don't think it will work on the barrel. You will not get any guarantees it will work, but it may be worth a try for what you want to do. This is their contact number: 1-800-486-1278 and their email: productsupport@henry.com

« Back To AskARoofer
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Westlake Royal Roofing Solutions - Banner Ad - Rise Above With Superior Roofing Solutions

Social Feed

Follow Us
Westlake ad corrected size
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
WTI - Sidebar Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)
AAR - MRA - Sidebar Ad - Buyer
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty