Reroof With Solar Panels

« Back To AskARoofer
Author

AliceReynolds

Hello! I’m looking into putting solar panels on my roof. I was wondering should I reroof my house and switch to metal roof even though my roof probably still has 10-15 years of life in it? Would I be money ahead to reroof before putting the panels up or waiting the 10-15 and then have the added cost of removing and installing the panels again when my roof is due to be done? 

May 2, 2022 at 7:32 a.m.

AliceReynolds
Below is what our roofing expert John Stout from Go Roof Tune Up had to say in response to your question:

Thank you for an interesting question.  

If it is necessary to install Solar Panels on your roof, the roof should be new.  

If you now have a “30 Year” Shingle roof that is 15 years old, it may not have 15 years of life left.  Or it could have more than 15 Years left.   If you install the solar over your shingles with the thought of removing and replacing the solar panels after your metal roof is on may not be a savings of money.  The cost to install solar panels are part of the sale of your system.  To remove and reinstall your solar panels may be very expensive as a stand-alone project.   

The answer to your question is have the metal roof installed now.  Install solar system on the metal roof.  Aside from normal maintenance, don’t think about it for another 30 years.

You may have the best looking roof on the block.  Enjoy your new roof and your Solar System!

Best Regards,
Your Friends at AskARoofer

« Back To AskARoofer
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

DaVinci - Banner Ad - DaVinci Checks All The Boxes

Social Feed

Follow Us
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)
AAR - MRA - Sidebar Ad - Buyer
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
WTI - Sidebar Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Westlake ad corrected size