Mystery Shingle

« Back To AskARoofer
Author

alextolle

Melanie from Minnesota:

Would anyone happen to know what type/brand of shingles I have on my roof? My new roof was installed Dec 2021. I contracted to have IKO Dual Black installed (documented on the contract) and with in the first year my roof starting to bow and buckle with shingles swelling and curling upwards, they had a look of wet cardboard. One of the shingles (shown in the picture) lost some of the asphalt leaving behind an exposed thick woven type of Jute fabric, the asphalt seems to sit on top of it not embedded into it like all of the shingles I have researched (I know very little about roofs and shingles but something didn't seem right). I reached out to IKO and they said it's similar in looks to Cambridge but the tooth sections are too big and that they had never seen anything like it (the fabric). This came from two different members from IKO trying to help me identify my shingles. One spoke to several colleagues and they couldn't identify it either. A family member who also recently had their roof redone with IKO Cambridge had a few sheets of shingles left over along with some smaller cut off pieces, so they tried to replicate ours by picking off some of the top part and they couldn't. They were able to break off a small section and the fiberglass was fully embedded into the shingle and not a solid woven fabric. The fabric itself doesn't look or feel like fiberglass, it's looks/feels more organic like Jute or Burlap. I have the contractor saying they are Cambridge and I have the shingle manufacture telling me they aren't. Please help! My roof is falling apart only 15 months after install. I do have a lot more photos I can share. Thank you

April 4, 2023 at 12:32 p.m.

alextolle

Here is what John Kenney from Cotney Consulting Group said:

This one is bizarre. I am not sure who manufactured this shingle.  I agree with IKO that it is not one of their products. If it was Cambridge, it would have fiberglass reinforcing matt.

My opinion: this is some sort of organic mat that I have not seen. Most organic mats are saturated with asphalt during manufacturing which this one has no asphalt saturation. I am not even positive if this shingle was manufactured in the US or Canada. No major manufacturer I have researched has a shingle and organic mat like this.

April 4, 2023 at 12:33 p.m.

alextolle
Melanie:

Oh my gosh, thank you so very very much. 
I felt I was going bonkers as I thought it would be a simple find to figure out what and who's shingles these are even though it says on my contract IKO Cambridge Dual Black, I had a feeling something was off. I've been trying to figure it out for the past 6 months when my garage roof started caving in on the south side (8 months after install) and my shingles looked like wet cardboard when it's fully saturated. I have a structural engineer coming over next month as well since this has turned out to be a whole big mess. 
I truly can not thank you enough for helping me seek some answers. 

April 4, 2023 at 12:34 p.m.

alextolle

John Kenney:

From looking at these photos, I agree something is wrong, and it looks like poor workmanship on top of the shingle that we can't identify and is not performing. These may be older, out-of-production organic shingles that were stored somewhere the roofer picked them up, it is hard to tell, but they don't look right. The exposed reinforcement we saw without asphalt saturation probably allows water to wick through the granules to the underlayment below, which will cause the water under the shingles and leaks. I do not feel there is any repair solution here. Unfortunately, the only option is replacement with quality shingles by a professional contractor. Maybe she can contact a local Roofing Contractor Association, and they can recommend a roofer in her area to come out or the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry - Residential Building Contractors at 800-342-5354 to see if the installer has any existing complaints filed against them.
Of the ones in MN, Hoffman Weber Construction would probably be your best option as the others in your area are for Commercial Roofing.

« Back To AskARoofer
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WTI - Banner Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024

Social Feed

Follow Us
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
Westlake ad corrected size
AAR - MRA - Sidebar Ad - Buyer
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)
WTI - Sidebar Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey