Metal roof installed correctly?

« Back To AskARoofer
Author

laurenwhite

Rolent, a first-time homebuyer in Virginia asked:

Metal roof installed incorrectly upon home inspection, advise please! Hey all, I'm a 1st time homebuyer (VA) and the home inspection was just completed. This is what the report showed: I'm not concerned about the garage roof, it's probably a tear down I was just curious about the condition. I'm concerned about the main house's roof (6.1 in above text). There is no evidence of leaking or moisture to the ceilings or walls, but I'm worried this could definitely become an issue down the line especially when I try to sell this place. I plan to contact a roofing expert but are these issues easily repaired or does the entire roof need to be replaced? I appreciate any insight.

February 16, 2024 at 12:26 p.m.

laurenwhite

Kyle Nurminen from The Metal Roof Experts responded:

Absolutely NO need to panic!

First off, we can only tell so much from a close-up photo, but the rubber/neoprene grommets of these fasteners appear to be in good condition, and there is no evidence of any panel rot (or even surface deterioration) at the point of connection, so I see no need for repair or replacement. Depending upon where this home is located, what you are seeing here can actually be a requirement to meet local code (wind uplift) and/or (just as the report states) the manufacturer's specification. 

You can go to https://www.extrememetalfabricators.com/pbrmax-exposed-fastener-systems to see a perfect example.

For peace of mind, request a copy of the roofing permit from the previous owner or building department. That should include the product approval number for your installation. Look that up. So long as it meets that, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.  Just be sure you are maintaining these exposed fasteners proactively — tightening them as they loosen, and replacing them when rubber/neoprene washers begin to deteriorate — as this is indeed the weakest point of this sort of metal roof system.

March 2, 2024 at 4:59 a.m.

Roofexpert2041

Congrats on the house! Good call on getting a roofing expert in to check out that metal roof issue. They can tell you if it's a quick fix or if you're looking at a replacement. Fixing it now could save you trouble and money when it's time to sell. Fingers crossed it's an easy fix!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

March 14, 2024 at 2:57 a.m.

summitguard

Hi Rolent,

As a first-time homebuyer, it's great that you're being proactive about addressing issues found during the inspection. Regarding the incorrectly installed metal roof, it's wise to consult with a roofing expert for a professional assessment. They'll be able to determine the extent of the problem and advise on whether repairs can suffice or if a replacement is necessary. Since there's no evidence of leaking or moisture damage yet, there's a chance that repairs might be sufficient to rectify the issue. However, it's crucial to address it sooner rather than later to prevent potential future problems, especially when it comes to selling the property. good luck with resolving the issue, and feel free to reach out if you need further assistance or advice...

« Back To AskARoofer
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Westlake Royal Roofing Solutions - Banner Ad - Rise Above With Superior Roofing Solutions

Social Feed

Follow Us
WTI - Sidebar Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Westlake ad corrected size
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)
AAR - MRA - Sidebar Ad - Buyer
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty