Metal Over Drip Edge

« Back To AskARoofer
Author

alextolle

Tony in Florida asked:

Essentially, I had some rotten wood right at the end of two valleys that are above my front door. The roofers put flashing down the valleys and then shingled over it. Afterwards, they cut the flashing pushed it down, and said it’s all done. That’s how it has to be to prevent water from wicking up into the plywood and rotting. The cut flashing was jagged and bowed out. Cosmetically, it looked terrible and the poor workmanship did not convince me it would prevent water from wicking up. The flashing also went over the drip edging which is black. The project manager came out and tried to fix it by painting the flashing and straightening the cut. He was unsuccessful. They now claim this is the only way this can be finished to pass inspection. I’ve included pictures also. Thank you for any advice you have. 

April 19, 2024 at 1:35 p.m.

alextolle

Kyle Nurminen with Total Roofing Systems - The Metal Roof Experts said:

THIS, unfortunately, is what happens when architects design outside the capabilities of the products specified.  Is this poor workmanship? Perhaps; but, I really do not know enough about the overall situation - which other systems were recommended, or the qualifications/expectations put forth by the homeowner from their contractor - to make a judgement that could point blame in any other direction.  I would not expect a contractor who does only shingle roofing to know exactly how to handle this situation. Not knowing if that is even the case here, I would say the contractor did his best to make an ugly situation right under the given circumstances.   And, although I think metal roofing may have offered some more flexibility in finishing this detail more professionally, the majority of skilled craftsmen in that sector of our industry would probably still struggle with how to best finish off this detail.

« Back To AskARoofer
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

AAR - IKO - Banner - Summit Grey

Social Feed

Follow Us
AAR - MRA - Sidebar Ad - Buyer
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)
Westlake ad corrected size
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
WTI - Sidebar Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey