Last Minute Changes in Contracts

« Back To AskARoofer
Author

alextolle

Kathy, a homeowner in Pennsylvania asked:

Hello! I got a proposal and signed a contract with a roofer. The lead for the work crew called last night to say they’d like to start today. He also told me that, to do a good job, we need to add on an optional recommendation. He claims I discussed this with the salesperson back in April, but I don’t remember the conversation. I’m wondering, is this typical when then project moves from the salesperson to the work crew? Is this something I need to do to have a successful replacement? Is there anyway to get my deposit back at this point? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you - Kathy

July 6, 2023 at 11:29 a.m.

alextolle
This is what John Kenney from Cotney Consulting Group had in response to your question:

Kathy,
A professional roofing contractor would not approach a client like that. Any options on recommended upgrades should have been offered to you upfront, and your invoice should be final. At a minimum, I'd call the company and speak to an owner or senior manager. They may not even be aware that this is going on with employees. I would be guarded moving forward until you get some answers.
July 26, 2023 at 7:26 a.m.

alextolle
I took John's advice and spoke with the owner of the company. According to the owner, at the time that I met with the salesperson, the company did not quote the price for full flashing replacements so that the bid would be competitive with other roofers who do the same. He said that now he requires his salespeople to include full flashing in the estimation to be more transparent. He was not happy that his project manager reached out to me about the additional charge for full flashing replacement the night before the job was to be started.

My original estimate includes "install[ing] aluminum counter flashing to all masonry chimneys." You'll note from the image that I attached with my initial question that the additional $2,300 for the recommended option of full flashing replacements includes installing heavy duty step flashing at all side wall applications and at all head wall applications. It also includes installing new flashing tapes if no house wrap exists and installing new J-channel siding.

This will bring the total cost to replace the 25-year-old roof and adding a seamless gutters system on our 2,800 SF two-story house to $14,789. This is the cost estimated before the roofers begin the job and potentially uncover additional issues. 

I am planning to pay the additional charge because it sounds as if not doing so could subject our home to leaking in the areas that would not have full flashing replacement. However, if you have anyone available to look over the information above to let me know if s/he thinks full flashing is important and if I am getting a fair deal, I would appreciate it.
July 26, 2023 at 7:27 a.m.

alextolle

According to John Keneny, the extra step flashing would definitely be the right way to go!

« Back To AskARoofer
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

AAR - MRA - Banner Ad - Buyer

Social Feed

Follow Us
Westlake ad corrected size
AAR - MRA - Sidebar Ad - Buyer
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)
WTI - Sidebar Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty