Did my roofer cut corners?

« Back To AskARoofer
Author

alextolle

Felan from Tennessee asked:

I'm concerned my roofer cut some corners when they replaced our roof in July 2022. My husband found debris in the attic and some pieces of wood that appear to have come from our decking… I wanted to submit a few images to ask if they reflect poor installation. This is just one image, though I would like to add more. But I thought I'd start with this image first. I wanted to ask a third party about this before going to my roofer for concerns that I might hear "it's not my fault." I wanted to be ready with solid information so my concerns will be taken seriously and I won't be viewed as a fool.

February 3, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.

alextolle

John Kenney from Cotney Consulting Group says:

I can't voice an opinion on the wood pieces in the attic by description only. Some wood chips or dust will commonly fall on the new reroof situation. Here is what you look for; holes in the deck, badly discolored wood decking, felt paper, or shingle showing through large holes. If you have any of them, the wood should have been replaced. That is, if it was a full tear and new install. If they had installed the new roof over an existing roof system known as a roof over, this would not have been noticeable to the roofer.

I can't tell if the chimney flashed correctly from the photo alone. The metal corner details do look a bit rough. There should be what is known as step flashing installed in the counterflashing. See the detail below. From the photo, I think your concerns are valid and worth further investigation.

February 7, 2023 at 1:36 p.m.

alextolle

Marty Stout from Go Roof Tune Up says: 

The debris you found in your attic is quite likely a very normal occurring condition. As the old roof was being removed debris falls between the sheathing boards, decking, and lands in the attic. The photo you sent shows the counter flashing at the chimney. From the photo, it looks like it could have been installed better. It should be tight against the chimney at the top of the flashing. Normally the ½” lip is inserted into the mortar joint and then sealed with caulking, and the corners should be sealed and tight. We would suggest that you ask your roofer to revisit that and maybe he will be able to confirm for you that everything is good.

August 25, 2023 at 11:35 p.m.

Leo MICK
Determining whether your roofer cut corners depends on various factors. It's essential to assess the quality of the work performed and the materials used. If you notice issues like inconsistent shingle placement, improper flashing, or inadequate ventilation, it could indicate shortcuts. Additionally, if your roofer didn't follow industry standards or manufacturer guidelines, it might be a concern. However, before jumping to conclusions, consider discussing your observations with the roofer to clarify their approach. If needed, seeking a second opinion from another professional can provide valuable insights into the quality of the work. roofing sterling va
BEST

December 2, 2023 at 12:14 a.m.

FrandinAziro
Determining whether your roofer cut corners depends on various factors. It's essential to assess the quality of the work performed and the materials used. If you notice issues like inconsistent shingle placement, improper flashing, or inadequate ventilation, it could indicate shortcuts. Additionally, if your roofer didn't follow industry standards or manufacturer guidelines, it might be a concern. However, before jumping to conclusions, consider discussing your observations with the roofer to clarify their approach. If needed, seeking a second opinion from another professional can provide valuable insights into the quality of the work.
BEST

-Leo MICK

March 16, 2024 at 5:49 a.m.

Jeffee
Determining whether your roofer cut corners depends on various factors. It's essential to assess the quality of the work performed and the materials used. If you notice issues like inconsistent shingle placement, improper flashing, or inadequate ventilation, it could indicate shortcuts. Additionally, if your roofer didn't follow industry standards or manufacturer guidelines, it might be a concern. However, before jumping to conclusions, consider discussing your observations with the roofer to clarify their approach. If needed, seeking a second opinion from another professional can provide valuable insights into the quality of the work.

-Leo MICK

Assessing if your roofer took shortcuts involves examining work quality and materials. Signs like inconsistent shingle placement or improper flashing may indicate issues. Discuss concerns with the roofer and seek a second opinion if necessary for clarity on the work quality.

March 17, 2024 at 12:37 a.m.

arlington

Assessing if your roofer took shortcuts involves examining work quality and materials. Signs like inconsistent shingle placement or improper flashing may indicate issues. Discuss concerns with the roofer and seek a second opinion if necessary for clarity on the work quality. -Jeffee

Hey there, congrats on your first roofing post! Roofing is such a vital aspect of home maintenance, and it's great to see discussions about it. Looking forward to learning and sharing insights with you all..

April 3, 2024 at 11:34 p.m.

Jeffeshafi

-Leo MICK

Assessing if your roofer took shortcuts involves examining work quality and materials. Signs like inconsistent shingle placement or improper flashing may indicate issues. Discuss concerns with the roofer and seek a second opinion if necessary for clarity on the work quality.

-Jeffee

Assessing if your roofer cut corners? Look for telltale signs like inconsistent shingle placement or improper flashing. Discuss concerns directly. Consider seeking a second opinion for clarity on work quality. For more insights, visit ..

« Back To AskARoofer
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Westlake - Banner Ad - Lasting roofing performance & added protection against severe hail (AAR)

Social Feed

Follow Us
WTI - Sidebar Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Free Roofing Calculator (AAR May 2024)
AAR - MRA - Sidebar Ad - Buyer