Buckling Shingles on a New Roof

« Back To AskARoofer
Author

alextolle

Kevin in Idaho asked:

My house was built in 2022. When I moved in I noticed that I had vertical lines on my roof where the asphalt shingles were buckling up in a straight vertical line. Roofer said no problem and he would address it next year after the weather was better. He stated that the ice and water shield used (on entire roof, not only on lower edge) was the cause of the buckling. Researching this a little, I'm wondering if is caused from improper shingle installation. Roofer states that he will remove the shingles along the lines and piece in faulty water and ice material. This doesn't sound like a very good way to deal with this. Any comments would be appreciated. I'm hoping my roofer isn't looking to do a cheap repair that will compromise the longevity of my roof. Pictures attached.

October 23, 2023 at 5:11 p.m.

alextolle
Below is what our roofing expert John Kenney of Cotney Consulting Group had to say in response to your question:

Kevin,

From your photo, I can see widespread buckling of the shingles. A few reasons can cause this.

Buckling of asphalt shingles installed over self-adhering underlayments is a common phenomenon and is most likely caused by wrinkling of the underlayment or movement of the wood deck. During the summer, when humidity is high, the wood deck absorbs moisture from exposure. As the wood moisture content increases, it can cause movement of the decking. As the roof system is installed, moisture is trapped, and the underlayment can absorb moisture and wrinkle. 

Buckling can be caused if the roof sheathing is not spaced a minimum of 1/8" due to expansion and contraction.

Improper ventilation can also contribute to this problem, so it is necessary to allow moisture to escape the roofing system.

Ensure the attic or ceiling space is vented properly. The minimum requirement is 1 square foot free vent area per 150 square feet of attic floor space.

To fix this problem, remove the affected shingles, and if the underlayment is wrinkled, repair the wrinkles by cutting and re-nailing the underlayment so that it is flat; then replace the shingles.
From the amount of buckling I see, I believe trapped moisture is the leading cause of not being able to escape the roofing system. Once the system reaches the correct moisture content, your roof should lay flat, and the buckling problem should not return.

October 23, 2023 at 5:11 p.m.

alextolle

Kevin responded:

Thank you for the info! My roofer did install the roof during the wet weather. He blamed the buckling on the underlayment because he had to switch brands during COVID. I was reluctant to have him cut it to repair. Seems like that would not be watertight. I feel more confident now.

November 22, 2023 at 10:31 p.m.

jajelronin

Your roof shingles are buckling, and your roofer thinks it's because of the ice and water shield. You're right to be concerned it might be due to how the shingles were put on. Consider getting a second opinion from another roofer or inspector to make sure the repair will last. It's important to fix this properly to avoid future problems

« Back To AskARoofer
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

DaVinci - Banner Ad - DaVinci Checks All The Boxes

Social Feed

Follow Us
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
WTI - Sidebar Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024
Westlake ad corrected size
AAR - MRA - Sidebar Ad - Buyer