When is it time for attic insulation and roof replacements?

« Back To AskARoofer
Author

laurenwhite

Laura asked:

Hi all,

Looking for some advice for a home owner newbie. Getting conflicting messages on whether my roof needs replacing or if repairs will suffice. Picture here, what are your thoughts?

I also need to reinsulate the attic due to moisture and rodents, if I’m doing that is it worth trying to repair the roof. Roof is located in Houston and is 17 years old.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

February 14, 2024 at 9:48 a.m.

laurenwhite

Henry Staggs, one of our expert consultants, responded:

March 17, 2024 at 3:22 p.m.

hilicap175@darkse.com

Hi Laura,

Based on the photo and considering the roof's age and your location in Houston, it's crucial to weigh both options. A 17-year-old roof, especially under Houston's weather conditions, might be nearing the end of its lifespan. Repairs can extend its life if the damage is minimal, but with the need to reinsulate the attic due to moisture and rodents, it might be wise to consider replacement. This ensures a comprehensive solution to both the insulation and potential unseen roof issues. It's best to have a professional roofing inspector assess the condition in person to give you tailored advice. Repairing might be cost-effective short-term, but replacing could offer more peace of mind and long-term savings.

March 20, 2024 at 4:47 a.m.

Markpaul

Hmm, tough call. From what I can see, it might be time for a roof replacement, especially if it's already 17 years old and you're dealing with moisture and rodent issues in the attic. Fixing up the roof while reinsulating the attic could save you from future headaches down the road. Better to tackle both at once if you can swing it!

Best of luck with your home projects!

May 1, 2024 at 9:45 p.m.

Jeffeshafi

Hi Laura,

Based on the photo and considering the roof's age and your location in Houston, it's crucial to weigh both options. A 17-year-old roof, especially under Houston's weather conditions, might be nearing the end of its lifespan. Repairs can extend its life if the damage is minimal, but with the need to reinsulate the attic due to moisture and rodents, it might be wise to consider replacement. This ensures a comprehensive solution to both the insulation and potential unseen roof issues. It's best to have a professional roofing inspector assess the condition in person to give you tailored advice. Repairing might be cost-effective short-term, but replacing could offer more peace of mind and long-term savings. 

-hilicap175@darkse.com

I got My answer from the experts : askroofer

« Back To AskARoofer
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Western Colloid - Banner Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)

Social Feed

Follow Us
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
AAR - MRA - Sidebar Ad - Buyer
Westlake ad corrected size
WTI - Sidebar Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)