Geodesic Home in Hurricane Country

« Back To AskARoofer
Author

AliceReynolds

I have a geodesic home in Port Charlotte fl. It has just been hit by Ian I bought it in 2003 Charley hit in 04. Anyhow winds can get pretty high without hurricanes and we lose shingles every few years. The shingles are not designed to hang straight down and I am wondering if we could have it sprayed or rolled with a rubberized coating something the wind cant get under.. Thanks the picture is from a neighbors roof. My dome house has lost a window and a bunch of shingles/tiles...

November 1, 2022 at 12:30 p.m.

AliceReynolds

This is a very interesting question regarding the shingles on a geodesic home. Coating the shingles could help a little bit, however, that could be detrimental overall. The wind lift on the shingles is not entirely by wind getting under the shingles, but by the negative force of wind over the shingles. Coating the shingles would cause larger portions of roof to blow off. I would not recommend sealing the shingles. However, when replacing shingles that have blown off, it could be advantageous to use an adhesive that is compatible with your shingles, to attach to the shingle below. The shingles can flex. This allows the shingle to lay back down in the original position. When replacing shingles in a high wind area, as a repair or as a new roof, it would be advisable to use a 3 Tab shingle or similar strip shingle.

This is my best recommendation based on your brief letter and the attached photo. It looks like you have a little piece of paradise (when without hurricanes). We hope this information will help you work out the necessary schedule to keep your roof in good repair.

Best Regards,

Your Friends at AskARoofer

« Back To AskARoofer
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Westlake Royal Roofing Solutions - Banner Ad - Rise Above With Superior Roofing Solutions

Social Feed

Follow Us
AAR - MRA - Sidebar Ad - Buyer
WTI - Sidebar Ad (AAR) - Pure Air February 2024
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Understanding Commercial Roof Restoration (eBook)
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
Westlake ad corrected size